Wednesday, July 25, 2007

getting it together

Groupwork is on the horizon again - this time I'm not the only Prof Commer in the group, in fact there are two of us so watch out folks: strength in numbers!

I'm with Antony and Christine this time around. Really looking forward to working with these guys, they seem really enthusiastic and willing to include others which is always a plus.

Both of this weeks readings served to reinforce what Christine covered in the lecture - that is, to focus on the nature of storytelling and to define that burning question in pre-production (in other words, to pin down the 'main point' that you wish to illustrate).

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to MIFF this week - being flown to Sydney tomorrow afternoon as part of a work function. BUT I will be getting my rear into gear next week, so hopefully there will be a few familiar faces there. Would hate to think of myself as the one and only doco geek in this entire course :P

Also, not that is even deserves a mention, but the final of Big Brother is going to be on next week. Even though I never watch the show during the 'season', I always like to tune into the final, keeping up appearances with popular culture so to speak. And, although it pains me to admit it, reality TV has changed the face of communications forever, and as annoying as it is, I can't really spend an entire year of my life having studied the intricacies of both 'drama' AND 'documentary' without fostering some kind of appreciation for the formats in which they converge.

And that, friends, is what the real success of 'reality TV' - for all its unmistakable crassness - can be rightfully attributed to.

No comments: