Sunday, April 8, 2007

contextualising my appreciation...

Just a random thought I had...

I remember being asked in Week 1, what my favourite film was. I answered, in earnest, The Prestige.

It's hard for me because a favourite film, to me, just classes as the one that has most recently inspired or evoked some kind of affirmation in you that the path your headed down is absolutely the right one.

Basically, when I watch a film, what I'm really looking for (above all else) is a sense of conviction. I need that to be sure of what I'm doing.

While it does have many complex layers, what really made the film for me was structuring of time and cause and effect. Without these two things, a film cannot truly succeed as a film... it becomes linear, boring, obtuse.

The world needs more directors like Christopher Nolan.

And for now I need sleep...

No comments: